There are so many reasons to add a meatless meal night to your usual meal plan. It can have benefits for the environment, your health, the animals, and even your budget! I don’t want to be all preachy preachy so if you are interested in reading about Meatless Monday in more detail you can check their website out and more in depth reasons to start Meatless Monday here.
Okay, so yeah, you’re a knowledgeable mum. You’ve probably heard about Meatless Mondays about a zillion times by now. But “GIVE ME A HEALTHY RECIPE THAT THE KIDS WILL ACTUALLY EAT!” Hold on! Don’t freak out. I got you on this one. I have a kid-friendly, meat-free recipe that is so easy to throw together. Hold onto your hats! You wouldn’t even believe how good this next one is.
Portobello Cheesesteaks are so easy to make! And they seem to be universally accepted. My kids love them. And I have made them for meat eaters before who quite enjoyed them and still ask for more. Couple that with the fact that they are super easy to make and I consider them to be a huge win. Here’s how I make them.
Portobello Mushrooms – I use for for our family of 3.
Green pepper (optional)
A1 Sauce (or other steak sauce)
Hot dog buns or rolls
Olive oil (optional)
What I Do:
- Wipe the portobello caps, remove the stems, and scrape the gills out. Slice the peppers into strips and marinate in the steak sauce. Set it aside. If you have time to let it sit over night even, the portobello will soak up more and more of the flavor in direct relation to the amount of time it is in the sauce.
- Slice the peppers and onions into strips. Saute on the stove on medium or medium-low with a bit of olive oil or water.
- After 10 minutes (or to desired tenderness), turn the heat up to medium and add the mushrooms and A1 sauce. Cover.
- Toast the buns in the toaster or oven.
- After about 5 minutes, the mushroom/onion/pepper mix should be ready. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the mixture into the buns. Serve with whatever sides you have available.
- Be prepared to make more and more because everyone will want seconds!