Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Did you get a leprechaun visit? We did…but the dog woke up first and ate most of the gold coins (along with most of the wrappers!) That’s okay, we didn’t really need moooore chocolate right now between birthday cakes (and the dog is big enough that he won’t be affected by it.)
So instead, we had green smoothies with green eggs for our festive breakfast!
My kids adore their green smoothies. That makes Mama happy! People often ask me how/why my kids are so happy to drink them and honestly they didn’t always. It took a while to find the right combination that everyone loves, but now that we know it, we make them all the time because I know they will quickly disappear into my kids’ tummies!
So here is what we do. It’s so simple!
Spinach (2 to 3 handfuls if fresh, about 1 if frozen)
A handful of frozen mango
Water and maybe a drop of apple juice (or Mots for Tots which I’m pretty sure is just that)
If you’re worried about the size of the handfuls, don’t be. We’ve used my handfuls, my daughter’s, and even my son’s. This particular smoothie is practically impossible to mess up.
Put it all in the blender and blend.
Enjoy your smoothie and enjoy watching your kids enjoy spinach.
– Some people say that you should add the liquid then the fruit followed by the greens to make it mix better. (I do it wrong entirely and it still works though.)
– If it’s not blending add more water.
– If it tastes too much like spinach for you or your littles add another banana. I think the banana is the whole trick to these.
– If you don’t have frozen mango, apple works really well too.
– This travels great and if there are leftovers, I pour them into a mason jar and take them to work/school for lunch/dinner.
– My household is convinced that this is how the Incredible Hulk was able to have such big muscles.